Find a Fishing Charter
Choose State: Choose Region:
Back to Reports

Fishing Report: Sunday, June 20, 2010

Provided by: Bunny Clark Deep Sea Fishing
Posted on:June 23, 2010
Region: Maine  /  The Maine Beaches

Captain Ian Keniston, Alec Levine and Jared Keniston ran the full day trip today. At 5:00 AM EDT, the air temperature was 67°F, the sky was mostly overcast, the wind was blowing out of the south southwest at ten knots and the visibility was very good over the ocean. On the fishing grounds, the wind blew out of the southwest at about ten knots with seas in chops of a foot or two. This wind and sea conditions remained throughout the trip. The air temperature was warm, the sky was overcast and the visibility ranged from three to five miles in haze. The current was strong and made it hard to fish for the whole trip. The surface water temperature on the fishing grounds reached a high of 59.1°F. The high air temperature at the Portland International Jetport, Portland, Maine was 83°F (with a low of 63°F) today. In Boston, Massachusetts the high was 90°F (with a low of 67°F) today. Concord, New Hampshire's high temperature was 90°F (with a low of 62°F) today.

The fishing was fair. Legal landings included seventeen haddock, eight cod, one pollock, one wolffish (released alive) and four cusk. There were also fifty-six dogfish released unharmed. They anchored and drift fished.

Steve Levine (ME) was the fisherman of the day. He tied for high hook with Joel Dudley (ME) - they both caught five legal fish each - and he won the boat pool for the largest fish with the largest fish, a 16.5 pound wolffish. This is the largest wolffish of the Bunny Clark fishing season to date. Joel caught the third largest fish, an 11 pound pollock. Steve Kenney (ME) caught the second largest fish, a 13.5 pound cod. Amanda Galeno (ME) landed the hard luck award for hurling. She took the "walk of shame".

Captain Ian Keniston, Alec Levine and Jared Keniston ran the afternoon half day (4PM - 8PM) trip. A thunder shower seemed to signal their arrival from the deep blue fifteen minutes before the Bunny Clark's put in at the dock. That storm brought torrential rains and some wind but was gone when they got tied up to unload passengers. However, the half day trip got into a thunder shower on the fishing grounds. This lasted about fifteen minutes. It was the last storm they saw for the day but they lost that amount of fishing time during the rain. Otherwise, the weather on the fishing grounds was nice. Winds were light and variable with a calm surface over long rolling two foot swells. The air temperature was warm, the sky stayed clear and the visibility was excellent.

The fishing was fair to poor for most but good for one. Many sub-legal cod were caught and returned. Legal sized fish were scarce and included only five cod. They did have to contend with about forty dogfish as well. They anchored and drift fished.

Roger Hopkins (RI) was the fisherman of the evening. He was high hook with three legal (and a lot of shorts) and he won the boat pool for the largest fish with the largest fish, a 9 pound cod. His two other legal fish were both cod of 5 pounds each. The second largest fish was a cod of 5.25 pounds caught by Taye Brown (ME).

Other Angler Highlights: Christian Abboud (MA) caught a 5 pound cod. Rick Stout (NY) landed the hardest luck of the trip award as he traveled the longest distance to catch the least amount of fish! We have to invent things when too many anglers meet the "no fish" criteria and no one is sea sick!